Thursday, August 6, 2009

Under this Unbroken Sky by Shandi Mitchell

Under This Unbroken Sky is the story of the families of Teodor, and his sister Anna, Ukrainian immigrants to the northern Canadian prairie. Set in 1938, farming life on the cold prairie was harsh and their very existence was a struggle to survive.

Drought, greed, starvation, child abuse, murder, rape, - Incredibly dark and depressing you struggle through their daily hardships with tragedy after tragedy. The descriptions in the book are well done, but I did not care for the mostly present tense writing and thought it made the flow choppy. I also thought that much of the violence in the book was there for the shock value of violence. The story line seemed foggy to me, as if there was some other story that was going to come about, but didn't.

I received this book from Barnes and Noble First Look book program. Part of their program is participation in a discussion in their forums. I struggled to get through this book, but I seemed to be quite alone. Everyone else seemed to love the book! I don't know; maybe it's just me.

1 comment:

  1. You're right, everyone else seems to have loved this book. That always makes me a little suspecious for some reason. *L* I haven't started it yet, but it's next on my list. I think we have until the end of August to read it for the BN book club, so I better get started! Thanks for your honest opinion!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...