Saturday, July 17, 2010

First Knits Projects for Beginning Knitters by Luise Roberts and Kate Haxell

Amazon.com link for First Knits 

Learning to knit is easy if you have a friend or family member to patiently show you the stitches and help you through those first few items. Those of us who learn on our own, need a book that takes some time to explain the beginnings. First Knits starts with the equipment you need, how to hold the yarn and then a series of workshops. In the first workshop you learn the basic cast on, knit stitch, counting rows and stitches, and many more basics (14 in all). In this area of the book you will only need to knit. There are five projects just for these basic lessons, a scarf, booties, hat, backpack, and a pillow.


The book then takes the reader to the next step with knit and purl and then eight patterns using the skills learned in this workshop. Although for beginners, there are several in this section that I would like to knit. There is a really cute heart pillow with button on appliqués, a stuffed rabbit, a pom-pom scarf , matching hat, mittens, handbag, a lacy shawl, and a kimono jacket.

The last is the workshop for using several colors, with patterns for a beach bag, socks using two needles, a striped “throw” or afghan, and a baby jacket.

There are cover flaps that open up and on the underside of both the front and back are stitch guides, which I think is a nice touch.

3 comments:

  1. I am soooo happy you found my blog thru blog hop because NOW I FOUND YOURS!! I am a HUGE knitter, HUGE. And I LOVE how you have combined the knitting and reading and knitting books!

    I am a brand new follower! WOOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything that would help me to actually be able to knit would be helpful! I have tried and failed so many times! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to knit with my Nana when I was little. I often think about returning to my creative roots...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...