Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Decorating with Papercraft by Clare Youngs


                          
With so many beautiful papers in our local craft stores I couldn’t wait to try some of the projects in Decorating With Papercraft: 25 Fresh and Eco-friendly Projects for the Home by Clare Youngs. With the help of just a handful of inexpensive tools and the techniques explained in the book, I was easily able to create some of the projects. When reviewing a craft book, I like to try out the patterns and instructions to see if they are easy to follow. I made three projects (pictures below) : a tea light lantern, a paper bowl, and a book page flower.

First I made the tea light lanterns using three types of papers. This is one of the easier projects, and it turned out beautifully. As described in the book, I sewed the layers together to give it a much nicer look.

Next, I made the paper bowl, not really meant to store anything, just a lovely simple form. I expected this one to be much more complicated, but it was not. It was a fun and easy project made with strips of paper that turned out very well, and now a special necklace rests inside.

The last project I tried was the paper flower made from pages of an old book. This one was a little more difficult for me because it had to be manipulated (and I am not all that patient), but the directions were very clear and in the end I like the way it looked.

I am not finished with the book yet because there are two mobiles, one with birds and one with airplanes, which I still want to try. The instructions in Decorating with Papercraft are clear, the diagrams and photographs are very well done, and there are quite a few fun projects for all skill levels. There are several projects that would be fun to work on with children, such as the paper garland and the festive piñata.

                         

10 comments:

  1. Great job! Thanks for the review.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! I am a crazy avid reader! So glad you stopped by my blog - I love yours! Can't wait to catch up on some of your reviews. Just got a Nook and am loving it - read away, I say, read away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great paper art...I always love books that have clear tutorials! :)

    I have added your entry points into the giveaway...delighted to hear from you, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am now a follower...if you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful projects. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun times! And beautiful, too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!
    And Happy Valentines Day!

    I just started a Book Club & will be back!
    Glad I found you today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for entering my LL giveaway Linda!

    ~Blessings, ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am so glad i saw this post -- i am OBSESSED with paper and always wish i knew what i could do with the beautiful papers in art supply stores, and now I know!

    “Happy SITS SUNDAY Sharefest”

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...