Monday, February 15, 2010

Where is God? By Dr. John Townsend

Amazon.com link for: Where is God? By Dr. John Townsend


My Review:
In our darkest hours we cry out to God “Where are you?” It often doesn’t matter how close our relationship has been, in those days of heartache, we don’t always see His work or feel His presence. Having lived in that darkness, I am drawn to books that offer help for the suffering Christian. There are only a handful of books written for struggling or suffering Christians that I recommend. This book, Where is God? by Dr. John Townsend, is one I will highly recommend.

Spiritual pain is often worse than physical pain. Dr. Townsend understands the intensity of the problem and gives solid scriptural counsel. He offers hope and understanding without condemnation for the suffering Christian. His scripture based message is one that makes sure the reader understands who God is and how He stays with us even when we don’t feel His presence. Dr. Townsend explains that we often have a distorted view of God and it is those views that often cause us to struggle with matters of faith. I think this was the most interesting part of the book and reminds us not to try to make God fit into our own images of Him.

This is a book I would recommend for those going through trying times, for church libraries, for anyone that offers counsel, or is interested in Christian psychology.

My only point of disagreement with the author occurs in his Appendix: Books on God and Suffering. He recommends a book called Disappointment With God by Philip Yancey. I reviewed this book on this site and it is one I would not recommend. My review of Yancey's book is here.

3 comments:

  1. http://adivashammer.com/

    I agree with you: "Spiritual pain is often worse than physical pain."

    off to read your review of yancey.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...