Whether you are 20 years young or 70 years old it is never too early or too late to start a heart healthy routine. Here is a link to an article on the ABCs of Preventing Heart Disease, Stroke and Heart Attack.
Healthy Hint: Try to consume no more than 6 grams (about 1 teaspoon) of table salt a day.
Heart Healthy Recipe:
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 C flour
4 (5 oz total) chicken breasts, boned, skinless
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 C Marsala wine
1/2 C chicken stock, fat skimmed from top
1/2 lemon, juice only
1/2 C mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1. Mix together pepper, salt, and flour. Coat chicken with seasoned flour.
2. In heavy-bottomed skillet, heat oil. Place chicken breasts in skillet and brown on both sides, then remove and set aside.
3. To skillet, add wine and stir until heated. Add juice, stock, and mushrooms. Stir, reduce heat, and
cook for about 10 minutes, until sauce is partially reduced.
4. Return browned chicken breasts to skillet. Spoon sauce over chicken.
5. Cover and cook for about 5–10 minutes or until chicken is done.
6. Serve sauce over chicken. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 chicken breast with 1/3 cup of sauce
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 8 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 85 mg
Sodium: 236 mg
Total fiber: 1 g
Protein: 33 g
Carbohydrates: 11 g
Potassium: 348 mg