Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Called to Controversy by Ruth Rosen


The emotional introduction to this book was so shocking that I gasped when I read it.  I recently read a fiction book that made clear the Jewish author’s hatred of the Jews for Jesus, so I was intrigued and wanted to read this book all the more.

I had heard of the Jews for Jesus group over the years, but really didn’t know much about them.  It was not at all what I expected.  Back in the 1960’s and 1970’s they were an unconventional ministry that was very much like the “Jesus Movement” at the time. 
This biography of Moishe Rosen by his daughter is direct, informative, and a good overview of this unusual man.  I didn’t really find Moishe a very likeable man, but very blunt and direct.  His daughter’s honest portrait of her father is what I liked most about this biography. The change that came after he became a follower of Jesus was painful, gradual, but effective.  One instance described in the book is when he spoke out in a hurtful manner. It took a while, but he did apologize and asked for forgiveness.  I think the personality of Moishe must have made this very difficult. 

Moishe’s testimony of salvation is interesting and his story of the break with his family is heartbreaking.  The book shows how God used Moishe’s daughter’s illness to overcome prejudice. 

Called to Controversy is a beautiful testimony to a courageous man’s life. The book ends with a letter Moishe wrote to be published when he died.


I received a copy of this book from the Booksneeze program with the understanding only that I would give my honest opinion.  I receive no compensation for any book sold through my links.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...